All of these restrictions were horrible, painful, and offensive. Just reading about them can help one better connect with the painful issues raised in recent days in demonstrations across the country. Select one of the following restrictions from these codes (p. 294-5 in your textbook). Discuss how that particular restriction would pose practical problems and seriously compromise a person’s newly won freedom.
- Restrictions or prohibitions on voting
- Restrictions such as those on job, land purchase, and mobility
- Inability to serve on juries or accuse a white person in court
Then, in a full paragraph or two:
- Discuss the immediate and long-term consequences from your chosen restriction.
- Identify any lessons we can learn today from this restriction and its impact.
- Identify the source(s) where you read about the restriction. Be sure to use chapter 16 of the textbook and cite the relevant pages.