Assignment: Article Review and Critique
By now, you should be aware that the findings from a research study are only part of the story. As a consumer, hoping to inform practice by use of an evidence base, you want to know much more. A sound research study includes all the steps highlighted in previous weeks: reviewing existing literature, focusing a research question, choosing a qualitative or quantitative method for answering the question, designing the study including selection of data collection procedures and/or measures, procedures used, data analysis plan, and findings. In addition, the study commonly discusses how ethical concerns were addressed and acknowledges the limitations of the study. For this assignment, you review a published research study with two purposes in mind:
o Observing the structure and content of the article
o Comparing the content of the article to the recommended content of sections for a research study.
submit a 7-8 page critique and review of the article, which includes the title page and the reference list. Follow the guidelines below:
1. Use the quantitative or qualitative research article that you located and that your instructor approved as part of the Week 5 assignment.
2. Provide an APA reference for the article you select.
3. If you selected a quantitative research study, use the “Quantitative Article Review and Critique. If you selected a qualitative study, use the “Qualitative Article Review and Critique.” Respond to all the questions.
Quantitative Article Review and Critique
In approximately 7-8 pages (including title page and references), address the
• After reading the entire article, do you think the title adequately describes
the study? Does the title catch your attention? Please explain.
• Does the abstract contain the recommended content (see “Abstract,”
pp. 210–211, in Yegidis et al.)? How difficult do you think it is to
summarize so much information in 150–250 words? Please explain.
• Why did the authors conduct this study and write this article? What was the
problem of interest or concern? Be specific. Use quotes and paraphrases
with citations. What audience might be interested in this study?
• Do you feel the problem is significant enough to warrant a journal article?
Did you have a “so what” reaction? If so, why do you think it was accepted
for publication? Please justify your position.
• To what extent does the literature presented in the introduction help you
understand the problem? How does the literature reviewed put the problem
in context? Be specific.
• Does the researcher indicate how this research is different from and/or
similar to earlier ones reported in the literature? Summarize what this
article intends to add to the knowledge base.
• Do the authors state their research questions and/or hypotheses? What
are the hypotheses or focused research questions?
• What specific quantitative method is used? How does a quantitative
research design corresponds with the research questions or hypotheses?
Can you determine whether the design was appropriate?
To what extent can the design answer the research questions or
address the stated hypotheses? Elaborate.
• What were the variables under study? If relevant, identify the main dependent
and independent variables. If not relevant, why are there no dependent and
independent variables? What instruments or observations were used in the
research? Explain why you do, or do not, think that the methods used to
collect the data are described clearly enough to allow for replication. Be
specific and please elaborate.
• Explain whether or not information was provided concerning the reliability and
validity of these instruments or observations. Was this information adequate?
How does the presence or absence of information about reliability and validity
affect your confidence in the quality of the study? What have the authors
done to address or strengthen internal validity? Be specific.
• How were the participants recruited or selected for the study? What sampling
strategy was used? Is the sample large enough to address the hypotheses
and research questions? Did the author(s) offer any justification for the
sample size? Are you satisfied with the information reported about the
sample? What questions might you have about the sample that were not
addressed? Please be sure to provide an explanation for all of your answers.
• Are the demographics of the participants (e.g., background characteristics
such as age, race, etc.) described in sufficient detail? If so, how is the
presentation of this descriptive data useful in evaluating the research? If not,
please explain how that may affect the evaluation of the research.
• Was the sample reflective of the population from which it was drawn? Is
representativeness important in this research? Please explain.
• Please explain any ethical concerns you may have about the sample and how
the sample was recruited.
• How were the data analyzed? (What statistical techniques were used?)
• Explain how easy or difficult it was for you to understand the reporting of
results. What questions do you have after reading the results section? Please
• Do you feel the results of this study have meaning for social
work practitioners or managers? Please elaborate.
• Explain whether or not the authors made sense of their data in the discussion
section. Explain why you think the conclusions are (or are not) reasonable.
• Did the authors discuss the limitations of their study? Did they stay within
the limitations of their findings, or did they make more of their findings than
was warranted? Please elaborate.
• Did the author(s) suggest issues that future research should consider? If
so, were there any surprises? Please elaborate
Be sure to include the questions in your critique. This will cause your Turnitin report to show high similarity to other students’ papers. However, do not be concerned about that. Do, however, appropriately paraphrase and cite specific details from the article you review.
“Looking for a Similar Assignment? Order now and Get 10% Discount! Use Code “Newclient”
The post SOCW-6301-WK10-Assgn appeared first on Psychology Homework.
SOCW-6301-WK10-Assgn was first posted on November 12, 2020 at 1:51 am.©2019 “Essay Lords | Bringing Excellence to students world wide”. Use of this feed is for personal non-commercial use only. If you are not reading this article in your feed reader, then the site is guilty of copyright infringement. Please contact me at support@academicheroes
Looking for a Similar Assignment? Order now and Get 10% Discount! Use Coupon Code “Newclient”
The post SOCW-6301-WK10-Assgn appeared first on Superb Professors.